In the modern world, data and its various usage is the key to growth and success. Keeping information safe and backup entirely is a higher priority option. The best methods of saving information are using Linux NAS or Linux SAN solutions. The term NAS means Network Attached Storage and SAN stands for Storage Area Network.
These are platforms that help saving and retrieval of information in an organized way by using network designs. Linux is the leading OS when it comes to using such durable and open-source NAS software. In this blog, we are talking about 22 Linux NAS and SAN solutions. These are making information management less complicated for both home users and commercial use in the world.
Best 11 Effective, Smart and Modern Linux NAS Solutions
Any high-level NAS is costly than a primary-level SAN. So it’s clear that NAS is less expensive than SAN to purchase and maintain. Linux NAS devices use minimal power and have less hardware and software modules than a SAN. We have reviewed many options and picked these bests options based on requirements, on-demand, development status, repayment, and so on.
We recommend you to use all of them and determine the best Linux NAS server for Ubuntu or any other Linux distros as your choice.
1. Open Media Vault
Open media vault is the best Linux NAS with the most minimal cost. It is one of the best because it runs with low powered equipment. It is a modern and robust NAS solution that developed on top of Debian OS. It uses a secure method to set up NAS servers for small business or home users.
This Linux NAS features are too natural that any new user can use this with limited knowledge of Linux or Debian and can manage the software very quickly. Its default features support for Samba / CIFS, FTP, NFS, Rsync, and TFTP.
Attributes of Open Media Vault
- It supplies many helpful NAS services such as SSH, FTP, SMB, CIFS, Torrent client, RSync, DAAP media server, and a lot more.
- Open Media Vault has a modular basis architecture. It gives this software an enormous scope to expand while maintaining a lightweight version.
- Its system update process is straightforward and hassle-free by using the Debian package monitoring utility.
- Open Media Vault has many admin features, including HDD power management, GPT dividers, ACL, and Share control.
- It is the best capable open-source NAS software for office and/ or home users.
FreeNAS is a modern NAS software application based on the FreeBSD OS. It’s using the very active OpenZFS filesystem. It gives a well-curated set of functionalities that make it an appropriate software for both the new users and Linux fanatics.
The Linux NAS software has been downloaded and installed for more than 10 million currently. FreeNAS continue to be a prominent NAS web server selection everywhere. Some of its features are simple replication, photos, file sharing, including the clean web interface.
Attributes of FreeNAS
- It supports a large number of data sharing approaches such as SMB and CIFS for Windows,
- NFS for Unix’s, AFP for Mac OS’s together with standard FTP, iSCSI, and WebDAV protocols.
- FreeNAS’s responsive and durable internet UI makes the administration easy, and it simplifies its daily monitoring.
- It would be a superb choice for people who are trying to find extreme data defense as a result of its smart application of the ZFS filesystem.
- The picture taking the function of FreeNAS allows its users to make a quick backup of their entire filesystem in a minimal amount of time.
XigmaNAS is one of the most useful Linux NAS web server solutions for open resource fanatics. It supplies a checklist of contemporary features that make large-scale data management for people with minimal or no direct exposure to NAS. It is based on the FreeNAS open resource codebase includes the simplified BSD certificate.
It assists with the ARM architecture while protecting the m0n0wall/PHP of FreeNAS. Do not remember to check it out if you’re trying to find a free NAS option.
Attributes of XigmaNAS
- XigmaNAS comes with built-in assistance for several file systems such as Ext2, Ext3, FAT, NTFS, ZFS, and UFS.
- It has default access for many typical network protocols includes SMB/CIFS, NFS, AFP, FTP, TFTP, SSH, RSync, and iSCSI.
- XigmaNAS uses support for BitTorrent client, iTunes/DAAP server, VirtualBox with WebSocket, convenient file supervisor.
- It allows admins to check their NAS server via real-time network and CPU stats, email signals, Syslogs, and SMART.
If you’re trying to set up a home NAS server with an open-source NAS software, Amahi will be a good Linux NAS suggestion. It will allow you to find how NAS servers work and allow limitless tweaking possibilities. Amahi is just one of the leading players in this regard.
Their open-source solution uses powerful NAS attributes, including disk pooling, protected backups, document sharing, and durable software assimilations. Moreover, you can handle your NAS quickly using Amahi’s hassle-free admin dashboard.
Attributes of Amahi
- Amahi enables customers to manage all NAS connected devices on their network by changing the DHCP setting of their router with those of Amahi’s.
- It includes a user interface that gives powerful UI management features required for hassle-free navigating.
- Amahi gives a choice of backup alternatives, including full disk network backup and set up backups for Mac or Windows.
- It is an excellent choice for home media servers because of its minimal setup time and resource availability.
Rockstor is an appropriate NAS solution for home users or small businesses. It offers a lot of stable and ingenious features that make Rockstor the best selection for starting NAS users. All of these are open-source BTRFS storage space, quick scaling functions, tracking control panel, cloning abilities.
Besides, they supply a lot of in-depth, high-quality paperwork on their website to assist people standing up and running in no time at all. Have a look at Rockstor if you’re seeking open resource NAS with cost functionalities.
Attributes of Rockstor
- Rockstor Linux NAS features the next generation BTRFS filesystem, which supports up to 16 times storage capability than regular filesystems.
- The Rockstor to Rockstor duplication function of this NAS makes it very simple to recuperate data if storage space damage.
- It offers modern apps called Rock-on for added performances like media streaming and cloud storage space.
- Their robust and effective REMAINDER APIs allow developers to integrate Rockstor services with third-party applications perfectly.
Openfiler is one of the most active open-source NAS services for Ubuntu / Linux users. It is developed in addition to CentOS and supplies an engaging file-based network-attached storage space. It is also a block-based storage area network services.
Openfiler’s online system makes it very easy to provide storage space for its vendors. The software application of this Linux NAS includes the free GNU GPL 2 certificate. So third-party developers can customize the software based on customized requirements.
Attributes of Openfiler
- It is just one of the most robust Linux NAS remedies when it involves performance and the most recent CPU, networking, and storage space equipment.
- Openfiler is scalable, sustainable more than 60 TB file systems along with online filesystem and volume development support.
- It provides built-in support for heterogeneous data sharing, media streams, virtual device storage space, and exchange web server backends.
- Openfiler has many file-based and block-based storage export protocols like NFS, CIFS, HTTP/DAV, RSync, and FTP.
Nexenta is one more powerful Linux NAS remedy with a list of ingenious functions. They see a full-fledged proprietary version with a free version. We locate the area edition to be more than ample for home users. It sustains up to 18 TB of disk memory storage along with the ZFS file system architecture. It also gets constant updates and pest repairs like its proprietary counterpart.
Attributes of Nexenta
- Nexenta’s hardware and public cloud-based backup facilities make sure that your data is appropriately safe and integrity is maintained.
- It allows users to take fast storage backups using pictures and allows granular information healing, if any, storage risk.
- Nexenta offers performing duplication approaches that give optimal efficiency and real-time control of the recuperation points.
- This NAS option is famous for its space-optimized information cloning, inline information reduction capacities, and multi-tenant documents solutions.
The programmers of OpenDedupe asserts it to be a deduplication based filesystem that can be used to establish tailored Linux NAS/Ubuntu NAS servers. It provides a hugely beneficial cloud storage space entrance and the filesystems. SDFS file system made use of by OpenDedupe, can execute inline deduplication to local or cloud storage and provide many functions.
Some of these features are storage room optimization, effective scaling, and massive information protection. It is suitable for people that require to develop reliable backups and preserve data for the lasting.
Attributes of OpenDedupe
- OpenDedupe SDFS comes with the pre-built option for inline deduplication. It also features compression through 4k – 256k variable block deduplication.
- It can store users’ information either on local storage space or in cloud object shops like Amazon.com S3 and Glacier.
- OpenDedupe provides default support for highly maximized file-level snapshots and allows the traditional AES-CBC 256 Bit file encryption.
- It carries out entirely based on standard performance metrics and scalable.
Lots of people use Ceph for their office or home NAS due to its immense scalability and enhanced efficiency over traditional Ubuntu / Linux NAS servers. Ceph is a useful storage space platform that supplies things storage on a solitary distro collection.
OpenATTIC is a free, open-source tracking and controlling option for Ceph. This Linux NAS can be used for your very own NAS web server promptly. Servers deployed on Ceph are usually faster and have only one point of failure. Thus finding and dealing with troubles is easy.
Attributes of openATTIC
- Its modern-day and durable dashboard gives users to check and imagine the health of their storage drives properly.
- OpenATTIC makes it possible for users to view, create, check, and manage users’ Ceph pools with or without compression.
- It comes with in-built assistance for many users and supplies a useful API for very easy debugging.
- OpenATTIC gives the user to share their storage conveniently using a device called NFS Ganesha.
CryptoNAS is a robust Linux NAS, gives users to encrypt information cleverly and effectively. It is built on the Linux kernel and available as a Real-time CD and installable package. You can swiftly set up your NAS server making use of CryptoNAS and proceed to secure it.
For users with minimal experience with NAS safety and security, we recommend you have the Live CD. It will perform as a typical NAS web server with security performances.
Features of CryptoNAS
- CryptoNAS is committed to NAS data encryption and also used in conjunction with other NAS options.
- The CryptoNAS-Server bundle provides a user-friendly, online frontend to encrypt and take care of an existing NAS web server quickly.
- CryptoNAS makes NAS file encryption much easier for new users by abstracting technological information like the filesystem and file sharing methods from the user.
- The software performs out of the box and needs practically no configuration.
NASLite is a specialized free and commercial Linux distro designed to convert a 32 or 64-bit computer into a NAS. It is too light that it runs directly with 4MB RAM and gives the full capacity of the hard disk drives to use as storage. NASLite supports file delivery to Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and other operating system users. NASLite runs well on any outdated device but needs a computer that has a PCI interface.
It has another version that supports many networking protocols and boots the OS from CD-ROM, USB Drive, or HDD. All of the NASLite versions and its alternatives have GPL’d and proprietary elements.
Attributes of NASLite
- Utilize minimum hardware and run from RAM, USB Drive, or CD; so it can use the full drive to store.
- Supports almost all protocols like SMB/CIFS, NFS, AFP, FTP, HTTP, and RSYNC exported file systems
- NASLite is Stable and as fast that boots directly into RAM; its detect all hardware automatically
- It has a premium commercial version named NASLite 2 that supports all new things.
Best 11 Linux SAN Software Program for Heavy Users
Linux SAN storage is the most commonly used technology by many leading cloud providers. The ability to build and handle massive infrastructure is what makes them attract attention. We’ll discuss some SAN server software application offered by Linux in the next area of this article.
Lustre is a straight forward Linux SAN software application you can use for developing your very own large-scale storage collections. It is a particular type of distributed document system which acquires its name from “Linux and Cluster.”
Lustre is created using the C programming language, and for that reason, it’s high-performing. Checking your network storage will feel rather easy. You can manage your collection on the go and observe the feedback in real-time.
Attributes of Lustre
- Lustre runs in all Linux systems and can set up as an active or passive MDS set or more than one MDS pairs with DNE.
- Lustre is one of the most scalable SAN storage software available today and is used by 6 of the top ten supercomputers today.
- The HSM ( Hierarchical Storage space Monitoring) capacities give by this SAN software program make network storage space monitoring much more comfortable than ever before.
- Brilliancy’s high availability and innovative recovery features make it perfect for large-scale information motivation business.
Raider is a compelling modern service that gives Linux people to automate the Linux software application raid conversion. You can use it for making a Linux system disk into a software raid level 1, 4, 5, 6, or 10 very quickly.
Raider is aRaiderlso incredibly lightweight and does not have any memory impact. So you can use this tool without needing to stress over system source overheads. Raider is openly offered for download and allows alteration of the resource.
Features of Raider
- Raider can transform any existing Linux system disk right into different RAID systems in a straight forward two-pass command.
- It is offered on Ubuntu, Arch, Mageia, OpenSUSE, Fedora, CenOS, Linux Mint, Gentoo, and Slackware, to name a few.
- Raider depends upon the Linux kernel device made for developing, taking care of monitoring your RAID systems.
- Raider is an open-source storage software application and flexible to easily change by scripting the bash scripts.
14. ESOS Enterprise Storage OS
ESOS is known as Enterprise Storage OS, is a modern-day take on Linux SAN solutions. It is an open-source quasi Linux distribution, improved top of the SCST job, and provides durable SCSI targets using SAN. Currently, ESOS servers several networks, including Fiber Channel, InfiniBand, iSCSI, and FCoE. If you’re looking forward to building your individual SAN, ESOS is a starting point for you. It helps you to take advantage of a dedicated storage OS without bankrupting you at the same time.
Attributes of ESOS
- This Linux SAN software is constructed from scratch and consists of a lightweight Linux that provides unmatched performance.
- ESOS is a hundred percent memory citizen and gives users too right into it using flash drives.
- It has many RAID controller devices such as LSI MegaRAID and Adaptec AACRAID for the faster setup process.
- ESOS includes builtin assistance for inline information deduplication, Ethernet connecting, NIC bonding, Block layer cache energies, and much more.
PetaSAN is one of the most effective SAN storage space software applications for Linux customers. It is a robust, innovative, and scalable SAN option that gives us to produce high-performing SANs very quickly. PetaSAN usage many cloud-based technologies to attain its objectives and the result is a first-class SAN system for both home and business users.
Attributes of PetaSAN
- PetaSAN appropriates for systems that need different I/O operations because of its high-concurrency capabilities.
- The web-based and click user interface of PetaSAN have a huge success, actually, and many enterprises have begun to adopt it quickly.
- PetaSAN makes use of the fault-tolerant, adaptable, and self-healing Ceph storage space engine for powering its iSCSI.
- It is rather easy to use and carry out PetaSAN, which remains to raise its appeal between users with limited technological skills.
Alluxio, the wildest rising open source projects, were contributing more than 1000 contributors, including Alibaba, Alluxio, Baidu, CMU, Google, IBM, Intel, NJU, Red Hat, Tencent, UC Berkeley, and Yahoo. Alluxio is a virtual distributed storage system that ties the gap between computer backgrounds and storage systems. And associate computer software to connect to different storage systems through an interface.
The Alluxio originally comes from a research project names Tachyon. It is used in production to control Petabytes of data in many big companies. Alluxio’s most extensive arrangement is over 1300 nodes, and it’s huge.
Attributes of Alluxio
- Alluxio transparently caches regularly accessed data, from local and remote locations, to give in-memory I/O output.
- It supports all available API of the industry, such as REST API, HDFS API, S3 API, FUSE API.
- Its simplified data management gives single-point access to many different data sources.
- Alluxio also gives users to concurrently connect to many versions of the same storage system without complicated system structure and management.
Any listing going over storage remedies can not be completed without talking about OpenStack. It is a contemporary, ingenious, and tremendously prominent open source collaboration suite that gives network-oriented storage. It is among the fastest-growing open-source NAS and SAN collaboration is already used by industry leaders like Paypal.
It provides many flexible parts for creating a computer and regulating network storage resources. The community is thriving and packed with new ideas that may result in the future generation of storage.
Attributes of OpenStack
- OpenStack is exceptional for developing heterogeneous infrastructure and gives all the elements you need to set up your exclusive information center.
- It allows customers to manage their storage networks swiftly using their internet control panel or through the OpenStack API.
- The strong community of OpenStack ensures you will certainly no need to depend on traditional devices for keeping your process.
- OpenStack has a great marketplace that uses a wide array of ready-made services and products at a reasonable price.
OpenIO is an appealing thing storage option that can be used for building high performing and hyper-scalable IT facilities. It is a reasonably current job that has been immense momentum for the last few years.
If you’re seeking enterprise-grade Linux SAN storage software for building extensive storage space infrastructure, OpenIO can be an option for you. It is a subscription-based exclusive option, but it offers an open-source version for home users that aren’t willing to get the paid version.
Attributes of OpenIO
- OpenIO mainly simplifies the information process of the offers sources and enhanced for significant information.
- It features a built-in set of durable system monitoring devices that makes releasing, taking care of, and check for comfier.
- OpenIO has incorporated support for many useful data tools such as Hadoop, Distcp, Apache Flicker, iRODS, and HDF5.
- OpenIO applies a policy called WORM for stopping users from erasing or changes items accidentally.
19. Open up vStorage
The Open vStorage job is the fastest multi-datacenter block storage space. It has shown some shocking efficiency feats like supporting 500,000+ IOPS per device, 50,000,000 IOPS per shelf, and Geo-Scaling abilities.
Open up vStorage also has assistance for efficient VM/vDISK plan degree engines, robust recovery pools, public/private clouds. If you’re looking to set up a safe, quick, and reputable SAN with an efficient and flexible function collection, Open vStorage is a must-try.
Attributes of Open vStorage
- Open vStorage gets rid of the need for standard backup tools and provides incorporated choices.
- It is based on a resistant style with network-clustered error link codes for making your data a lot more redundant, safe, and secure.
- The strong Multi Data-Center support of Open vStorage gives you to move your work around the world without moving the data.
- Open vStorage naturally allows multi-level tiering and supports RAM, PCIe flash, SSD, SATA drives, and Amazon.com S3 suitable things shops.
OviOS is the most efficient Linux SAN solutions for beginning Linux users because of many reasons. It is a specialized Linux distribution that permits users to create the fastest and most convenient to make use of storage networks.
OviOS abstracts away technical information and enables users with little or no expertise on Linux, NFS, SMB, or iSCSI protocols to build a fully functional SAN. The software is easy to install on many Linux distros and easy to use.
Attributes of OviOS
- OviOS features builtin support for SCSI, NFS, SMB versions 1,2, 3 alongside AD integration, and NIS verification.
- Individuals can conveniently establish replication by developing a new backup server and allowing interaction between the production server also the backup server.
- OviOS applies the ZFS data system for developing its storage pools and permits individuals to take snapshots of them swiftly.
- You can install in on USB flash drives, devoted equipment, or in digital systems like Linux Emulators or docker containers.
21. Complete Data Web Server
Complete is a growing open-source suite that uses more than 100 tools for producing and taking care of tailored Ubuntu/Linux NAS and SAN Solutions. The Complete File Server tool is one such energy you can use for creating your next storage space framework.
It supports a comprehensive listing of attributes, including its Windows-compatible network data sharing, online monitoring dashboard, public, and personal clouds. You can get this software application for free and can customize it if you desire.
Attributes of Complete File Server
- The Complete Data Web server features out of package support for the SMB, SFTP, NFS, WebDAV, and rsync file transfer protocols.
- It has pre-built SSL support, conventional compression tools such as zip, rar, and bz2.
- The Complete Data Web server allows secure access to your information from anywhere using the WebDAV CGI.
- It allows the customer to access their data very safely using the Samba command line.
22. Libvirt Storage Monitoring
Libvirt Storage Monitoring gives storage area networks over storage pools and quantities. It is an open-source Linux SAN service which can be beneficial to many users. It supports a substantial list of storage swimming pool types such as filesystem pools, directory swimming pools, NAS swimming pools, logical units swimming pools, iSCSI pools, and many others.
Whether you’re a home user or business, if you’re trying to find the best software application for handling your network storage, Libvirt is a must-try.
Attributes of Libvirt Storage Monitoring
- Libvirt has support for many formats such as raw data, bochs, cow, iso, qcow, dmg, vpc, vmdk, and qed images.
- It also sustains most popular file systems, including of ext2, ext3, ext4, ISO9660, ufs, gfs, vfat, hfs+ and xfs along with many others.
- The main wiki provides clean documentation to obtain you began and covers the essential topics.
- It is possible to designate system sources to particular customers without giving shell accessibility.
Also Read: Check out the Best Linux Distro For Beginners From 10 Exclusive Linux Distros
Since a multitude of home users rely on Ubuntu/Linux NAS web servers for their information backups or media streams, our editors have compiled this overview, maintaining them in mind. Little to medium-sized businesses can also take advantage of a lot of those SAN storage software programs.
For those people who are looking for something a lot more power to keep their day to day data, we recommend you take a look at Linux SAN storage. With our ability, we were able to provide you the info you were searching for. Remain with us to get even more amazing overviews on Linux software applications and commands.