hw youvaulata and its various uses are the keys to growth and success in the modern world. Keeping information safe and backup entirely is a higher priority option. The best information-saving methods are using Linux NAS or Linux SAN solutions. NAS means Network Attached Storage, and SAN stands for Storage Area Network.
These platforms help save and retrieve information in an organized way by using network designs. Linux is the leading OS for using such durable and open-source NAS software. In this blog, we are talking about 22 Linux NAS and SAN solutions. These make information management less complicated for home users and commercial use worldwide.
Best 11 Effective, Smart, and Modern Linux NAS Solutions
Any high-level NAS is more costly than a primary-level SAN. So it’s clear that NAS is less expensive than SAN to purchase and maintain. Linux NAS devices use minimal power and have fewer hardware and software modules than a SAN. We have reviewed many options and picked the best based on requirements, on-demand, development status, repayment, etc.
We recommend you use all of them and determine the best Linux NAS server for Ubuntu or any other Linux distros you choose.
1. Open Media Vault
Open media vault is the best Linux NAS with the most minimal cost. It is one of the best because it runs on low-powered equipment. This vault is a modern and robust NAS solution developed on top of Debian OS. It uses a secure method to set up NAS servers for small businesses or home users.
These Linux NAS features are so natural that any new user can use this with limited knowledge of Linux or Debian and quickly manage the software. Its default features support Samba / CIFS, FTP, NFS, Rsync, and TFTP.
Attributes of Open Media Vault
- It supplies many helpful NAS services such as SSH, FTP, SMB, CIFS, Torrent client, RSync, and DAAP media server.
- Open Media Vault has a modular basis architecture, giving this software an enormous scope to expand while maintaining a lightweight version.
- Using the Debian package monitoring utility, its system update process is straightforward and hassle-free.
- Open Media Vault has many admin features, including HDD power management, GPT dividers, ACL, and Share control.
- It is the best capable open-source NAS software for office and home users.
FreeNAS is a modern NAS software application based on the FreeBSD OS, and it uses the very active OpenZFS filesystem. It gives a well-curated set of functionalities, making it an appropriate software for new users and Linux fanatics.
The Linux NAS software has been downloaded and installed for more than 10 million currently. FreeNAS continue to be a prominent NAS web server selection everywhere. Its features include simple replication, photos, and file sharing, including a clean web interface.
Attributes of FreeNAS
- It supports a large number of data-sharing approaches, such as SMB and CIFS for Windows,
- NFS for Unix, AFP for Mac OS’s, and standard FTP, iSCSI, and WebDAV protocols.
- FreeNAS’s responsive and durable internet UI simplifies administration and daily monitoring.
- It would be a superb choice for people trying to find extreme data defense due to its innovative application of the ZFS filesystem.
- The picture-taking function of FreeNAS allows its users to quickly back up their entire filesystem in a minimal amount of time.
XigmaNAS is one of the most useful Linux NAS web server solutions for open resource fanatics. It supplies a checklist of contemporary features that make large-scale data management for people with minimal or no direct exposure to NAS. Based on the FreeNAS open resource codebase, it includes the simplified BSD certificate.
It assists with the ARM architecture while protecting the m0n0wall/PHP of FreeNAS. Do not remember to check it out if you’re trying to find a free NAS option.
Attributes of XigmaNAS
- XigmaNAS has built-in assistance for several file systems, such as Ext2, Ext3, FAT, NTFS, ZFS, and UFS.
- It has default access for typical network protocols, including SMB/CIFS, NFS, AFP, FTP, TFTP, SSH, RSync, and iSCSI.
- XigmaNAS supports BitTorrent client, iTunes/DAAP server, VirtualBox with WebSocket, and a convenient file supervisor.
- It allows admins to check their NAS server via the real-time network and CPU stats, email signals, Syslogs, and SMART.
If you’re trying to set up a home NAS server with open-source NAS software, Amahi will be a good Linux NAS suggestion. It will allow you to find how NAS servers work and allow limitless tweaking possibilities, and Amahi is just one of the leading players in this regard.
Their open-source solution uses powerful NAS attributes, including disk pooling, protected backups, document sharing, and durable software assimilations. Moreover, you can handle your NAS quickly using Amahi’s hassle-free admin dashboard.
Attributes of Amahi
- Amahi enables customers to manage all NAS-connected devices on their network by changing the DHCP setting of their router with those of Amahi.
- It includes a user interface with powerful UI management features for hassle-free navigation.
- Amahi gives a choice of backup alternatives, including whole disk network backup and setup backups for Mac or Windows.
- It is an excellent choice for home media servers because of its minimal setup time and resource availability.
Rockstor is an appropriate NAS solution for home users or small businesses. It offers many stable and ingenious features, making Rockstar the best selection for starting NAS users. These are open-source BTRFS storage space, quick scaling functions, a tracking control panel, and cloning abilities.
Besides, they supply a lot of in-depth, high-quality paperwork on their website to assist people in standing up and running in no time. Look at Rockstar if you’re seeking open resource NAS with cost functionalities.
Attributes of Rockstar
- Rockstor Linux NAS features the next-generation BTRFS filesystem, which supports up to 16 times more storage capability than regular filesystems.
- This NAS’s Rockstor to Rockstor duplication function makes it very simple to recuperate data if storage space is damaged.
- It offers modern Rock-on apps for added performances like media streaming and cloud storage space.
- Their robust and effective REMAINDER APIs allow developers to integrate Rockstor services with third-party applications perfectly.
Openfiler is one of the most active open-source NAS services for Ubuntu / Linux users. It is developed in addition to CentOS and supplies an engaging file-based network-attached storage space, and it is also a block-based storage area network service.
Openfiler’s online system makes providing storage space for its vendors very quick. This Linux NAS software application includes the free GNU GPL 2 certificate. So third-party developers can customize the software based on customized requirements.
Attributes of Openfiler
- It is one of the most potent Linux NAS remedies involving performance and the most recent CPU, networking, and storage space equipment.
- Openfiler is scalable and sustainable, with over 60 TB file systems, online filesystem, and volume development support.
- It supports heterogeneous data sharing, media streams, virtual device storage space, and exchange web server backends.
- Openfiler has many file-based and block-based storage export protocols like NFS, CIFS, HTTP/DAV, RSync, and FTP.
Nexenta is one more powerful Linux NAS remedy with a list of ingenious functions. They see a full-fledged proprietary version with a free version, and we locate the area edition to be more than ample for home users. It sustains up to 18 TB of disk memory storage and the ZFS file system architecture. It also gets constant updates and pest repairs like its proprietary counterpart.
Attributes of Nexenta
- Nexenta’s hardware and public cloud-based backup facilities ensure that your data is appropriately safe and integrity is maintained.
- It allows users to take fast storage backups using pictures and allows granular information healing, if any, storage risk.
- Nexenta offers performing duplication approaches that give optimal efficiency and real-time control of the recuperation points.
- This NAS option is famous for its space-optimized information cloning, inline information reduction capacities, and multi-tenant document solutions.
The programmers of OpenDedupe assert it to be a deduplication-based filesystem that can be used to establish tailored Linux NAS/Ubuntu NAS servers. It provides a hugely beneficial cloud storage space entrance and the filesystems. SDFS file system, made use by OpenDedupe, can execute inline deduplication to local or cloud storage and provide many functions.
These features include storage room optimization, effective scaling, and massive information protection. It is suitable for people who must develop reliable backups and preserve data for the lasting.
Attributes of OpenDedupe
- OpenDedupe SDFS comes with the pre-built option for inline deduplication. It also features compression through 4k – 256k variable block deduplication.
- It can store users’ information in local storage space or cloud object shops like Amazon.com S3 and Glacier.
- OpenDedupe provides default support for highly maximized file-level snapshots and allows the standard AES-CBC 256 Bit file encryption.
- It carries out entirely based on standard performance metrics and is scalable.
Many people use Ceph for their office or home NAS due to its immense scalability and enhanced efficiency over traditional Ubuntu / Linux NAS servers. Ceph is a valuable storage space platform that supplies storage on a solitary distro collection.
OpenATTIC is a free, open-source tracking and controlling option for Ceph. This Linux NAS can promptly be used for your own NAS web server. Servers deployed on Ceph are usually faster and have only one point of failure. Thus finding and dealing with troubles is easy.
Attributes of openATTIC
- Its modern-day and durable dashboard gives users to check and imagine the health of their storage drives correctly.
- OpenATTIC allows users to view, create, check, and manage users’ Ceph pools with or without compression.
- It comes with in-built assistance for many users and supplies a helpful API for easy debugging.
- OpenATTIC gives users to share their storage conveniently using a device called NFS Ganesha.
CryptoNAS is a robust Linux NAS that lets users encrypt information cleverly and effectively. It is built on the Linux kernel and available as a Real-time CD and installable package. You can swiftly set up your NAS server using CryptoNAS and proceed to secure it.
For users with minimal experience with NAS safety and security, we recommend you have the Live CD. It will perform as a typical NAS web server with security performances.
Features of CryptoNAS
- CryptoNAS is committed to NAS data encryption and is used with other NAS options.
- The CryptoNAS-Server bundle provides a user-friendly, online frontend to quickly encrypt and take care of an existing NAS web server.
- CryptoNAS makes NAS file encryption much easier for new users by abstracting technical information like the filesystem and file-sharing methods from the user.
- The software performs out of the box and needs practically no configuration.
NASLite is a specialized free and commercial Linux distro designed to convert a 32 or 64-bit computer into a NAS. It is too light that it runs directly with 4MB RAM and gives the hard disk drive’s total capacity for storage. NASLite supports file delivery to Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and others. NASLite runs well on any outdated device but needs a computer that has a PCI interface.
It has another version that supports many networking protocols and boots the OS from CD-ROM, USB Drive, or HDD. The NASLite versions and their alternatives have GPL and proprietary elements.
Attributes of NASLite
- Utilize minimum hardware and run from RAM, USB Drive, or CD; it can use the entire drive to the store.
- Supports almost all protocols like SMB/CIFS, NFS, AFP, FTP, HTTP, and RSYNC exported file systems
- NASLite is Stable, and as fast as it boots directly into RAM, it detects all hardware automatically.
- It has a premium commercial version named NASLite 2 that supports all new things.
Best 11 Linux SAN Software Programs for Heavy Users
Linux SAN storage is the most commonly used technology by many leading cloud providers. The ability to build and handle massive infrastructure makes them attracts attention. We’ll discuss some SAN server software applications offered by Linux in the following area of this article.
Lustre is a straightforward Linux SAN software application you can use to develop your large-scale storage collections. It is a type of distributed document system that acquires its name from “Linux and Cluster.”
Lustre is created using the C programming language, and for that reason, it’s high-performing. Checking your network storage will feel relatively easy, and you can manage your collection on the go and observe the feedback in real-time.
Attributes of Lustre
- Lustre runs in all Linux systems and can be set up as an active or passive MDS set, or more than one MDS pairs with DNE.
- Lustre is one of the most scalable SAN storage software available today and is used by 6 of the top ten supercomputers today.
- The HSM ( Hierarchical Storage space Monitoring) capacities this SAN software program gives make network storage space monitoring much more comfortable than ever before.
- Brilliancy’s high availability and innovative recovery features make it perfect for large-scale information motivation businesses.
Raider is a compelling modern service that gives Linux people to automate the Linux software application raid conversion. You can quickly use it to make a Linux system disk into a software raid level 1, 4, 5, 6, or 10.
Raider is also incredibly lightweight and does not have any memory impact. So you can use this tool without stressing over system source overheads. Raider is openly offered for download and allows alteration of the resource.
Features of Raider
- Raider can transform any existing Linux disk into different RAID systems in a straightforward two-pass command.
- It is offered on Ubuntu, Arch, Mageia, OpenSUSE, Fedora, CenOS, Linux Mint, Gentoo, and Slackware, to name a few.
- Raider depends upon the Linux kernel device for developing and monitoring your RAID systems.
- Raider is an open-source storage software application and is flexible to easily change by scripting the bash scripts.
14. ESOS Enterprise Storage OS
ESOS, Enterprise Storage OS, is a modern-day take on Linux SAN solutions. It is an open-source quasi-Linux distribution, improved top of the SCST job. It currently provides durable SCSI targets using SAN—ESOS servers on several networks, including Fiber Channel, InfiniBand, iSCSI, and FCoE. If you’re looking forward to building your individual SAN, ESOS is your starting point, and it helps you to take advantage of a dedicated storage OS without bankrupting you at the same time.
Attributes of ESOS
- This Linux SAN software is constructed from scratch and has a lightweight Linux that provides unmatched performance.
- ESOS is a hundred percent memory citizen and gives users too right into it using flash drives.
- It has many RAID controller devices, such as LSI MegaRAID and Adaptec AACRAID, for faster setup.
- ESOS includes built-in assistance for inline information deduplication, Ethernet connecting, NIC bonding, Block layer cache energies, and more.
PetaSAN is one of the most effective SAN storage space software applications for Linux customers. It is a robust, innovative, and scalable SAN option that allows us to produce high-performing SANs quickly. PetaSAN uses many cloud-based technologies to attain its objectives, resulting in a first-class SAN system for home and business users.
Attributes of PetaSAN
- PetaSAN is appropriate for systems that need different I/O operations because of its high-concurrency capabilities.
- The web-based and click-user interface of PetaSAN has had considerable success, and many enterprises have begun to adopt it quickly.
- PetaSAN uses the fault-tolerant, adaptable, and self-healing Ceph storage space engine to power its iSCSI.
- It is relatively easy to use and carry out PetaSAN, which remains to raise its appeal among users with limited technological skills.
The name mentioned above is the wildest rising open source project, contributing more than 1000 contributors, including Alibaba, Alluxio, Baidu, CMU, Google, IBM, Intel, NJU, Red Hat, Tencent, UC Berkeley, and Yahoo. Alluxio is a virtual distributed storage system that ties the gap between computer backgrounds and storage systems. And associate computer software to connect to different storage systems through an interface.
The Alluxio originally came from a research project names Tachyon. It is used in production to control Petabytes of data in many big companies. Alluxio’s most extensive arrangement is over 1300 nodes, and it’s enormous.
Attributes of Alluxio
- Alluxio transparently caches regularly accessed data from local and remote locations to give in-memory I/O output.
- It supports all available APIs of the industry, such as REST API, HDFS API, S3 API, and FUSE API.
- Its simplified data management gives single-point access to many different data sources.
- Alluxio also gives users to connect concurrently to many versions of the same storage system without complicated system structure and management.
Any listing over storage remedies can not be completed without discussing OpenStack. It is a contemporary, ingenious, and prominent open-source collaboration suite that provides network-oriented storage. OpenStack is among the fastest-growing open-source NAS, and industry leaders like Paypal already use SAN collaboration.
It provides many flexible parts for creating a computer and regulating network storage resources. The community is thriving and packed with new ideas that may result in the future generation of storage.
Attributes of OpenStack
- OpenStack is exceptional for developing heterogeneous infrastructure and gives you all the elements to set up your exclusive information center.
- It allows customers to manage their storage networks swiftly using their internet control panel or the OpenStack API.
- The strong community of OpenStack ensures you will certainly not need to depend on traditional devices for keeping your process.
- OpenStack has a great marketplace that uses a wide array of ready-made services and products at a reasonable price.
OpenIO is an appealing storage option that can be used to build high-performing and hyper-scalable IT facilities. It is a reasonably current job with immense momentum for the last few years.
If you’re seeking enterprise-grade Linux SAN storage software for building extensive storage space infrastructure, OpenIO can be an option. It is a subscription-based exclusive option but offers an open-source version for home users unwilling to get the paid version.
Attributes of OpenIO
- OpenIO mainly simplifies the information process of the offers sources and enhances essential information.
- It features a built-in set of durable system monitoring devices that makes releasing, taking care of, and checking for comfier.
- OpenIO has incorporated support for many valuable data tools such as Hadoop, Distcp, Apache Flicker, iRODS, and HDF5.
- OpenIO applies a WORM policy to stop users from accidentally erasing or changing items.
19. Open up vStorage
The Open vStorage job is the fastest multi-datacenter block storage space. It has shown incredible efficiency feats like supporting 500,000+ IOPS per device, 50,000,000 per shelf, and Geo-Scaling abilities.
Open-up vStorage also has assistance for efficient VM/vDISK plan degree engines, full recovery pools, and public/private clouds. If you’re looking to set up a safe, quick, and reputable SAN with an efficient and flexible function collection, Open vStorage is a must-try.
Attributes of Open vStorage
- Open vStorage eliminates the need for standard backup tools and provides incorporated choices.
- It is based on a resistant style with network-clustered error link codes for making your data much more redundant, safe, and secure.
- The strong Multi Data-Center support of Open vStorage gives you to move your work around the world without moving the data.
- Open vStorage naturally allows multi-level tiering and supports RAM, PCIe flash, SSD, SATA drives, and Amazon.com S3 right things shops.
OviOS is the most efficient Linux SAN solution for beginning Linux users for many reasons. It is a specialized Linux distribution that permits users to create the fastest and most convenient to make use of storage networks.
OviOS abstracts away technical information and enables users with little or no expertise in Linux, NFS, SMB, or iSCSI protocols to build a fully functional SAN. The software is easy to install on many Linux distros and easy to use.
Attributes of OviOS
- OviOS features built-in support for SCSI, NFS, and SMB versions 1,2, and 3, alongside AD integration and NIS verification.
- Individuals can conveniently establish replication by developing a new backup server and allowing interaction between the production server also the backup server.
- OviOS applies the ZFS data system to develop its storage pools, allowing individuals to take snapshots of them swiftly.
- Install it on USB flash drives, devoted equipment, or digital systems like Linux Emulators or docker containers.
21. Complete Data Web Server
Complete is a growing open-source suite that uses more than 100 tools to produce and care for tailored Ubuntu/Linux NAS and SAN Solutions. This file Server tool is an energy to create your following storage space framework.
It supports a comprehensive listing of attributes, including its Windows-compatible network data sharing, online monitoring dashboard, and public and personal clouds. You can get this software application for free and customize it.
Attributes of Complete File Server
- The Complete Data Web server lacks package support for the SMB, SFTP, NFS, WebDAV, and rsync file transfer protocols.
- It has pre-built SSL support and conventional compression tools like zip, rar, and bz2.
- The Complete Data Web server allows secure access to your information from anywhere using the WebDAV CGI.
- It allows customers to access their data safely using the Samba command line.
22. Libvirt Storage Monitoring
Libvirt Storage Monitoring gives storage area networks over storage pools and quantities. It is an open-source Linux SAN service that can benefit many users. It supports a substantial list of storage swimming pool types such as filesystem pools, directory swimming pools, NAS swimming pools, logical units swimming pools, iSCSI pools, and many others.
To find the best software application for handling your network storage, Libvirt is a must-try regardless of where you work.
Attributes of Libvirt Storage Monitoring
- Libvirt supports many formats such as raw data, bochs, cow, iso, qcow, dmg, vpc, vmdk, and qed images.
- It also sustains the most popular file systems, including ext2, ext3, ext4, ISO9660, ufs, gfs, vfat, hfs+ and xfs, and many others.
- The main wiki provides clean documentation to obtain your began and covers the essential topics.
- It is possible to designate system sources to particular customers without giving shell accessibility.
Also Read: the Best Linux Distro For Beginners From 10 Exclusive Linux Distros
Since many home users rely on Ubuntu/Linux NAS web servers for their information backups or media streams, our editors have compiled this overview, keeping them in mind. Tiny to medium-sized businesses can also take advantage of many of those SAN storage software programs.
For those people who are looking for something a lot more powerful to keep their day-to-day data, we recommend you take a look at Linux SAN storage. We could provide you with the info you were searching for with our ability. Stay with us for even more great overviews of Linux software applications and commands.
3 thoughts on “22 Best Linux NAS Solutions and Linux SAN Software”
Why the hell are there non-Linux solutions in this list ? Not to mention at least 1, namely FreeNAS, is said to be FreeBSD, but right next it’s said to be a Linux.
Hey Jounni, thanks for your concern. You are perfect! Free NAS is based on FreeBSD. I have edited that portion.
Where to learn about Nas server on Linux